Russia is quickly becoming one of the most popular tourist destinations thanks to its rich history, exciting tourist attractions, delicious food, and more. From the bustling metropolitan city of Moscow to the charming streets and canals of Saint Petersburg, to the warm and colorful blue tiles of Kazan, there are plenty of things to see in this country. However, before you can book your ticket to Russia, it is important to take the Russian visa into consideration.
It is important to note that all Finnish citizens need a visa in order to legally enter Russia. One of the easiest ways to get a Russian visa for Finnish citizens is to apply for the Kaliningrad evisa.
Thanks to a new measure passed on the 1st of July, 2019, the Russian government has opened the area of Kaliningrad for tourists and businessmen.
Obtain a Visa for travel to Kaliningrad from Finland
The Kaliningrad evisa for Finnish citizens is an electronic visa that allows Finnish citizens (those holding a passport from Finland) to travel to Kaliningrad Oblast (“region”) for a short trip. The visa allows travelers to visit Kaliningrad oblast for the purposes of tourism, business, or humanitarian reasons (such as a sporting, cultural, or scientific event).
The Kaliningrad evisa is valid for 30 (thirty) days in total from the date of issue and allows for a maximum stay of 8 (eight) days in the area.
In order to be considered for the Kaliningrad evisa, travelers must enter the region through one of the following checkpoints:
- Air border checkpoint – Kaliningrad (Khrabrovo)
- Seaport checkpoints – Kaliningrad, Baltiysk, Svetly
- Railway checkpoints – Mamonovo, Sovetsk
- Road checkpoints – Bagrationovsk, Gusev
Kaliningrad Visa Requirements for Finnish Citizens
Before you can start to apply for your Russian evisa, there are a handful of Russian visa requirements for Finnish citizens that you must follow. They include the following:
- A valid Finnish passport: All applicants must have a Finnish passport that is valid for at least 6 months from the date of application. The passport must have at least two free pages that contain empty space in order to receive border stamps.
- Personal information: All applicants will need to submit personal information, which includes their first name, last name(surname), birthday, nationality, current address, and more.
- A digital photo: Applicants must submit a passport-style digital color photograph.
- A valid form of payment: Applicants should have a valid debit or credit card that they will use to pay the Kaliningrad eVisa fee.
- A valid email address: Finally, applicants will need a valid email address in order to receive correspondence about their evisa application and approval
Once you have all of these documents on hand and ready, you may apply for the Kaliningrad evisa.
Apply for Russian eVisa from Finland
When you are ready to apply for a Kaliningrad visa from Finland, the first step is to create and fill out the online application form. The form takes less than one hour to complete and can be done from the comfort of your own home – this convenience means there is no need to get an invitation from a tour agency, visit a Russian embassy, or have an in-person interview.
The application is easy and straightforward. It only asks questions about the traveler, their personal information, and their travel.
Once the application is finished, all you need to do is pay the fee and wait for an email. The average processing time is around 4 days, but this can vary due to demand or other factors.
After successfully receiving the visa, it is also important to print out the confirmation before entering Russia. You will need to present this to the passport control officers when entering Kaliningrad.
Russian Embassy and Consulates in Finland
Address: Tehtaankatu 1B, 1D, 00140 Helsinki, Finland
Telephone: (+358) 9 66 18 76 / (+358) 9 66 18 77
Fax: (+358) 9 66 10 06
Consulate General of the Russian Federation in Lappenranta
Address: Kievarinkatu 1 A, Lappeenranta, 53100, Suomi, Lappeenranta
Telephone: +358 (5) 872-0700, 872-0722
Fax: +358 (5) 872-0777)
Consulate General of the Russian Federation in Mariehamn
Address: Norra Esplanadgatan 11, 22100 Mariehamn, Еland, Suomi, Mariehamn
Telephone: +358 (1) 8195-24, +358 408344343
Fax: +358 (1) 8195-24)
Consulate General of the Russian Federation in Turku
Address: Vartiovuorenkatu 2, 20700 Turku, Suomi, Turku
Telephone: +358 (2) 233-6441
Fax: +358 (2) 231-9779