Russia is one of the most exotic and interesting countries for any traveler and their bucket list: from the colorful mosques of Kazan to the cobblestone streets of Moscow, to the cozy cafes and museums of St Petersburg, and even the buzzing atmosphere of Ekaterinberg, there are plenty of things to see, do, taste, and experience in Russia.
However, it is important to note that many countries need to have a visa before they can legally enter Russia, and France is one of those countries.
Fear not, as one of the easiest methods to get a Russian visa for French citizens is to apply for the Kaliningrad eVisa. Thanks to a new measure passed on the 1st of July, 2019, the Russian government has created the Kaliningrad evisa as a way to increase tourism and interest in the Kaliningrad Oblast. This means that travelers can enjoy the benefits of traveling to Russia without having to submit a mountain of paperwork, go to their nearest embassy, or have an in-person interview – and we’ll show you how to obtain your own Russian visa.
Entry requirements for French Citizens
The easiest and quickest way to travel from France to Russia is to apply for a Kaliningrad visa from France. There are a handful of things to keep in mind about the Kaliningrad evisa for French citizens.
In terms of duration, this Russian evisa is good for only short trips: it is valid for a maximum stay of eight days, only within the Kaliningrad area, and is valid for 30 days from the date of issue. Travelers should apply in advance, but not too far in advance, for their Kaliningrad visa.
There is also an important rule about where to arrive with the Kaliningrad evisa. All French travelers must enter the region through one of the following checkpoints:
- Air border checkpoint – Kaliningrad (Khrabrovo)
- Seaport checkpoints – Kaliningrad, Baltiysk, Svetly
- Railway checkpoints – Mamonovo, Sovetsk
- Road checkpoints – Bagrationovsk, Gusev
This visa allows travelers to visit Kaliningrad for the purposes of tourism, business, or humanitarian reasons. However, travelers are not legally allowed to work with this evisa and should apply for a different type of visa.
How to apply for a Russian eVisa from France
Before applying for a Kaliningrad visa, it is important to gather all of the necessary documents. The Russian visa requirements for French citizens include the following:
- A valid passport: All travelers must have an up-to-date and current French passport that is valid for at least 6 months from the date of their application. This passport must have at least two free pages.
- Applicant information: All applicants will need to submit a few pieces of personal information about themselves, which includes their full name (first and last name), date of birth, passport information (number, date of issue, and expiry), nationality, current address, and more.
- A digital photo: Applicants must submit a passport-style digital color photograph that is clear and easy to see.
- A valid form of payment: Applicants should have a valid debit or credit card that they will use to pay the eVisa fee.
- A valid email address: Finally, applicants will need a valid email address in order to receive notifications about the status of their Kaliningrad evisa.
After the documents are gathered and you are ready for the next step, it is time to start your application. This can be done by filling out the online Kaliningrad visa application form, which will ask travelers about their personal information, such as their full name, passport information, contact information, and so on. This process only takes a few minutes to complete.
After the form is complete, applicants will need to pay the visa fee and submit the application. It takes an average of four days to receive a status update about the visa, although it may take a little bit longer due to demand.
After successfully receiving the Kaliningrad visa, it is important to note that you must print out the confirmation before entering Russia. You will need to present this to the passport control officers when entering Kaliningrad.
Russian Embassy in France
Address: 40-50, boulevard Lannes, 75116 Paris, France
Telephone: (+33) 1 45.04.05.50
Fax: (+33) 1 45.04.17.65
Consulate General of the Russian Federation in Marseille
Address: 8, av. Ambrois Pare, Marseille, 13008, France
Telephone: +33 (4) 917-71525, 917-71515, 917-62679
Fax: +33 (4) 917-73454
Consulate General of the Russian Federation in Strasbourg
Address: 75, allee de la Robertsau, 67000 Strasbourg, France
Telephone: +33 (0) 388-242-015
Fax: +33 (0) 388-24-19-74