Thanks to a recent law passed in July 2019, it is now easier than ever to obtain a Russian visa for Italian citizens. How is that possible? If travelers would like to explore the country but do not wish to go through the hoops of getting an invitation letter or having to visit a local embassy, they can apply for a Kaliningrad visa instead. The application process takes less than an hour and travelers can expect to have their visa in under 4 days.
Obtain a Visa for travel to Kaliningrad from Italy
The Russia visa for Italian citizens is a fully electronic visa (also known as an evisa) that allows citizens from more than 50 countries, including Italy, to travel to the Kaliningrad region for a short travel period. This Russian evisa allows travelers to visit the Kaliningrad Oblast, which is sandwiched between Poland and Lithuania, for the purposes of tourism, business, or humanitarian reasons.
The Kaliningrad evisa allows travelers to stay for a maximum of 8 days in the area and is valid for 30 (thirty) days in total from the date of issue. We recommend applying for the visa about 10 to 20 days in advance, depending on your dates of travel.
It is important to note that travelers must enter the region through one of the following checkpoints in order to properly take advantage of their Kaliningrad evisa:
- Air border checkpoint – Kaliningrad (Khrabrovo)
- Seaport checkpoints – Kaliningrad, Baltiysk, Svetly
- Railway checkpoints – Mamonovo, Sovetsk
- Road checkpoints – Bagrationovsk, Gusev
Kaliningrad Visa Requirements for Italian Citizens
There are a few very important Russian visa requirements for Italian citizens that you must adhere to before starting your application for a Kaliningrad visa. They include but are not limited to the following:
- A valid passport: All applicants must have a valid Italian passport that is good for at least 6 months from the date of application for their visa. Likewise, the passport must have at least two free pages that contain empty space in order to get border stamps or visas (if needed).
- Personal information: All applicants will need to submit personal information on their Kaliningrad visa application, which includes their first name, last name (surname), birthday, nationality, current address, and more.
- A digital photo: Applicants must submit a clear passport-style digital color photograph.
- A valid form of payment: Applicants should have a valid debit or credit card that they will use to pay the eVisa fee.
- A valid email address: Applicants will need a valid email address in order to receive correspondence about their evisa application and approval.
Once you have compiled all of the documents listed above and are ready, you may apply for your own Russian visa. Keep reading to find out how.
Apply for Russian eVisa from Italy
When you are ready to apply for a Kaliningrad visa from Italy, the first step in doing so is to start an online Kaliningrad evisa application form. The best part is that this form takes less than one hour to complete and can be done from the comfort of your own home, which means that there is no need to go through the traditional process of having to get an invitation from a tour agency, visit the closest Russian embassy, or have an in-person interview with an immigration officer. Likewise, the application itself is easy and straightforward, as it only asks questions about the applicant such as their personal information, passport information, and a brief overview of their travel itinerary.
Once the application is finished, applicants will need to pay the fee and wait for a confirmation email. The average processing time for a Russian visa is around 4 days, but this can vary due to demand, holidays, or other factors.
After successfully receiving the visa, it is important to note that applicants will need to print out the confirmation email before entering Russia. When entering Kaliningrad, travelers will have to present this to the immigration official at the border in order to be successfully allowed to enter Russia.
Russian Embassy in Italy
Address: Via Gaeta, 5, 00185 Roma, Italy
Telephone: (+39) 06 494 16 80, (+39) 06 494 16 81
Fax: (+39) 06 491 031
Consulate General of the Russian Federation in Genoa
Address: Via Ghirardelli Pescetto, 16, 16167 Genova Nervi, Italia
Telephone: +39 (01) 372-6047, 372-6304
Fax: +39 (01) 374-1361
Consulate General of the Russian Federation in Milan
Address: Via Sant’Aquilino, 3, 20148, Milano, Italia
Telephone: +39 (02) 400-92113, 487-06041, 487-05912
Fax: +39 (02) 400-90741
Consulate General of the Russian Federation in Palermo
Address: Via Salvatore Meccio, 16, 90100 Palermo, Italia
Telephone: +39 (091) 329-379
Fax: +39 (091) 329-379
Consulate General of the Russian Federation in Rome
Address: Via Nomentana, 116, 00187, Roma, Italia
Telephone: +39 (06) 442-341-49, 442-356-25
Fax: +39 (06) 442-340-31