After the football championships, Russia is a country that quickly made its way to traveler’s bucket lists. With gorgeous Siberian taiga forests, cozy cafes in St Petersburg, the blue hues of the water in Lake Baikal, or the cool and cosmopolitan Moscow capital, it’s no wonder why many are considering this country for their next vacation.
However, if you are a Dutch citizen, it is important to note that you will need to have a valid visa in order to travel to Russia. Thanks to a new initiative by the Russian government, it is now easier than ever to obtain a visa to Russia – we’ll show you everything you need to know.
Obtain a Visa for travel to Kaliningrad from the Netherlands
If you are a traveler planning to visit Russia, one possible option is to apply for a Kaliningrad evisa for Dutch citizens. This Russian visa is an electronic visa (also known as an evisa) that is digitally linked to your Netherlands passport and allows you to travel to the Kaliningrad Oblast part of Russia for a short period of time. In fact, the visa allows travelers to stay for a maximum stay of 8 days in the area and is valid for 30 days in total from the date of issue.
The Kaliningrad evisa allows travelers to visit Kaliningrad oblast for the purposes of tourism, humanitarian, and business purposes.
The only thing to note before applying for the Kaliningrad eVisa is that all travelers will need to enter Russia through one of the designated air, sea, rail, or road checkpoints. These include the following:
- Air border checkpoint – Kaliningrad (Khrabrovo)
- Seaport checkpoints – Kaliningrad, Baltiysk, Svetly
- Railway checkpoints – Mamonovo, Sovetsk
- Road checkpoints – Bagrationovsk, Gusev
Since the Kaliningrad visa is a special type of visa, it will not be effective if you choose to enter Russia through another checkpoint. Please keep this in mind as you plan your travels.
Kaliningrad Visa Requirements for Dutch Citizens
Before you begin to apply for a Kaliningrad visa from the Netherlands, there are a handful of documents that are needed in order to fill out the application. These Russian visa requirements for Dutch citizens include the following items:
- A valid passport from the Netherlands: All applicants must have a Dutch passport that is valid for at least 6 months from the date of application and contains at least two available pages (in case you will need to receive a stamp at the border).
- Personal information: The application for the Kaliningrad evisa will ask you a few questions about yourself, which includes your first name, surname, date of birth, nationality, current address, and more.
- A digital photo: During the application, you will need to submit one passport-style digital color photograph of yourself.
- A valid form of payment: To pay for the evisa fee, you will need to have a valid debit or credit card.
- A valid email address: Finally, you must have a valid email address in order to receive notifications about your Russian evisa application and approval.
Apply for Russian eVisa from the Netherlands
In order to obtain a Kaliningrad Russian visa for Dutch citizens, travelers will need to start an application through the online visa application form.
This application is very straightforward and easy to complete, and will only take a few minutes of your time. The application will ask you a few simple questions such as your personal information, passport information, contact information, and your travel plans. The best part about the application is that you do not need to travel to an embassy, assemble paperwork, or have an in-person interview with an embassy official.
Once your application is complete, you will need to use a valid debit or credit card to pay the final evisa processing fee and wait for an email notifying you about the status of your electronic Kalinigrad visa. The average time to process the visa is around 4 days, but this timeframe can vary due to demand or other factors.
After successfully receiving the Kaliningrad evisa, it is highly recommended to print out the confirmation email before entering Russia, as you will need to present this to the passport control officers when entering Kaliningrad.
Russian Embassy in the Netherlands
Address: Andries Bickerweg 2, 2517 JP ‘S-Gravenhage, Netherlands
Telephone: (+31) 70 346 8888
Fax: (+31) 70 361 7960
Russian Consulates in the Netherlands
Please note that there are no Russian consulates in the Netherlands – there is only the Russian Embassy located in The Hague (as mentioned above).