Russia is known among tourists for many things: its spectacular nature, from the gorgeous blue water of Lake Baikal to the frozen plateaus of Siberia; colorful and exciting cities like Kazan and Saint Petersburg; cosmopolitan destinations such as the capital, Moscow; and plenty of things to do and see. However, before you can book the next ticket to Russia, it is important to note that all Swiss citizens must have a Russian visa in order to legally enter Russia.
Obtain a Visa for travel to Kaliningrad from Switzerland
Thanks to a new decree issued in July 2019, traveling to Russia is now easier than ever. This new visa, nicknamed the Kaliningrad evisa, allows travelers from more than 50 countries to travel to Kaliningrad for a short stay. The visa is available for travelers who hold a passport from Swizterland (Swiss citizens) and covers stays for tourism, business, or humanitarian purposes.
The Kaliningrad evisa is valid for 30 days in total from the date of issue and allows for a maximum stay of 8 days in the area.
Kaliningrad Visa Requirements for Swiss Citizens
The best part about the Kaliningrad Russian evisa is that there are only a handful of requirements. They include the following items:
- A valid passport: Your Switzerland-issued passport must have at least 6 months validity from the date of application. The passport must also have at least two free pages, in case there is a need to add a visa or stamp in the passport.
- Personal information: All applicants will need to submit personal information, which includes their first name, last name, birthday, passport credentials (passport number, date of issue, date of expiry, number, and nationality), occupation, current address, and more.
- A digital photo: At the end of the application, you will also need to submit a clear and colorized passport-style digital photograph.
- A valid email address: Applicants will need a valid email address in order to receive correspondence about their evisa approval. Please be sure to check your spam inbox in case it gets redirected.
- A valid form of payment: Applicants should have a valid debit or credit card that they will use to pay their eVisa application fee.
If you meet all of the Russian visa requirements for Swiss citizens mentioned above, there is one last requirement. All travelers who are planning on using their Kaliningrad evisa to enter Russia must enter through one of the following air, sea, railway, or road checkpoints:
- Air border checkpoint – Kaliningrad (Khrabrovo)
- Seaport checkpoints – Kaliningrad, Baltiysk, Svetly
- Railway checkpoints – Mamonovo, Sovetsk
- Road checkpoints – Bagrationovsk, Gusev
Apply for Russian eVisa from Switzerland
When you are ready to apply for your Russia eVisa from Switzerland, the first step is to create and fill out the online application form. The form takes only a few minutes to complete and can be done from the comfort of your own home, which means there is no need to get an invitation from a tour agency, visit a Russian embassy, or have an in-person interview.
The application is easy and straightforward. It only asks questions about the traveler, their personal information, and their travel.
Once the application is finished, all you need to do is pay the fee and wait for an email. The average processing time is around 4 days, but this can vary due to demand or other factors. Once your visa is approved, you will receive a confirmation email with all of the details and how to proceed.
Likewise, after successfully receiving your Kaliningrad evisa for Swiss citizens, it is also important to print out the confirmation email before entering one of the checkpoints mentioned above. You will need to present the confirmation to the passport control officers when entering Kaliningrad.
Russian Embassy in Switzerland
Address: Brunnadernrain 37, 3006 Berne, Switzerland
Telephone: (+41) 31 352 05 66 / (+41) 31 352 64 65
Fax: (+41) 31 352 55 95
Consulate General of the Russian Federation in Geneva
Address: Rue Schaub 24, 1202 Geneve, Switzerland
Telephone: +41 (22) 734-7955, 734-9083
Fax: +41 (22) 740-3470